New summer dress and other summer projects

The temperatures have dropped here since a couple of weeks and it is actually quite chilly around here. So it feels quite strange to keep posting about the summer sewing, but let us go quickly over it. Here it comes: the last post on the summer sewing to complete the record.

The last dress before the summer holidays for Sara was the one to become her favorite. I made it following this tutorial, which now seems to work only upon an invitation. We liked several of the dresses made with this pattern, such as this one or these two. It has a rectangular top, with shirring at the back. The straps of the dress can be designed in different ways: I chose to make a buttonhole in the middle of the back. The straps are tied on the back making a v-shape, and going through this buttonhole. The skirt is great for girls: it is a rectangle made with two pieces with the full width of the fabric. As twirly as it can get.

2013.08.02_NuevoVestidoVerano11

Sara felt like a princess with this dress and loved it.

2013.08.02_NuevoVestidoVerano14

For Pablo I made still two other shorts before the holidays. For one pair I followed the tutorial of MiRinc├│nDeMariposas, as already done here. It was actually too big for him but perfect for Sara ­čÖé
2013.08.04_3erPantalonMRdM01

The other pair of shorts were more successful. The pattern is from the Ottobre magazine 3/2012, the “puffer fish” shorts made with linen. It was fitting perfectly.
2013.08.04_PantalonOttobre01

From the same issue I made this romper:
2013.08.17_Ranita2

I happen to have the very same fabric as the one of the ottobre issue in my stash and decided to make it just as theirs. It was looking very nice on Pablo, but by the end of the summer it was already a tad too tight around the tummy.
2013.08.17_Ranita3

Advertisements

Pants for Pablo

Pablo is needing some summerly clothes, so I started making some shorts. This one here is the first one, but there are still two to come (at least that is the plan). They are made using the same linen fabric I used to make my shorts. And though very different, we have now coordinated shorts ­čÖé

2013.07_PantalonesPablo_Burda
I used again some facing to finish the hem and also the waistband. It is a kind of vintage fabric which I like a lot. The pattern is from Burda Style, from the issue 07/2012, model 144 B in size 80. It is a very quick sew (though not as quick as my shorts!).

And here is the happy toddler in action with his new shorts:
2013.07.12_Sommerfest_withPants

I want to start introducing a small review of the patterns to keep track of the problems that had to be solved on the way. I borrow (with modifications) the template that Merche from Aventuras de Costuras is using:

Pattern Description: Toddler pants with elastic waistband (with casing).

Pattern Sizing: I made size 80 cm for my one and a half years old son.

Did it look like the original photo/drawing once sewed?: Pretty much.

Were the instructions easy to follow?: The instructions were fine. I did not follow the part of the hem nor the part of the waistband casing, as I wanted to add some contrasting fabric, but I guess they were straightforward to follow.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?: It is easy and fast and gives a well-fitted pair of pants for everyday adventures.

Did you learn anything new from this sewing project?: Not from the pattern, but I made french seams for the first time.

Fabric Used: Dark blue linen and a retro-looking flower print with bright colors.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: As said, I added a facing at the waistband and hems.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?: Yes. But as 80 cm was the biggest size, I guess I will not be making it again. But I do like the final result.

Sew-along: Shorts for the CC (sew-along) MRdM

I got again involved in a sew-along organized by MiRinc├│nDeMariposas. I have sewn the first piece of garment for myself: a pair of shorts for this summer. The pattern is really flattering and the elastic waist makes of it a very comfy wardrobe piece. If it would not have been for the sew-along I would have never made the reinforcement top-stitching, and it is great: it gives a professional-looking finish.

2013.07_ShortsForMe

Thanks to MRdM for this sew-along and for the final push to make something for myself:-)

The fabric is a dark blue linen. I did not include any pockets as I wanted to finish as quick as possible. I have several running sewing projects, that I would like to finish before the holidays. I might include later on a small snap pocket though. The hem was done using some contrasting fabric to make a hem facing as explained here. It adds a nice touch of color.

Here a detail of the hem:
2013.07_BajoShorts
and of the top-stitching for the reinforcement of the seams:
2013.07_CosturaRefuerzo_ShortsCC