New summer dress and other summer projects

The temperatures have dropped here since a couple of weeks and it is actually quite chilly around here. So it feels quite strange to keep posting about the summer sewing, but let us go quickly over it. Here it comes: the last post on the summer sewing to complete the record.

The last dress before the summer holidays for Sara was the one to become her favorite. I made it following this tutorial, which now seems to work only upon an invitation. We liked several of the dresses made with this pattern, such as this one or these two. It has a rectangular top, with shirring at the back. The straps of the dress can be designed in different ways: I chose to make a buttonhole in the middle of the back. The straps are tied on the back making a v-shape, and going through this buttonhole. The skirt is great for girls: it is a rectangle made with two pieces with the full width of the fabric. As twirly as it can get.

2013.08.02_NuevoVestidoVerano11

Sara felt like a princess with this dress and loved it.

2013.08.02_NuevoVestidoVerano14

For Pablo I made still two other shorts before the holidays. For one pair I followed the tutorial of MiRincónDeMariposas, as already done here. It was actually too big for him but perfect for Sara 🙂
2013.08.04_3erPantalonMRdM01

The other pair of shorts were more successful. The pattern is from the Ottobre magazine 3/2012, the “puffer fish” shorts made with linen. It was fitting perfectly.
2013.08.04_PantalonOttobre01

From the same issue I made this romper:
2013.08.17_Ranita2

I happen to have the very same fabric as the one of the ottobre issue in my stash and decided to make it just as theirs. It was looking very nice on Pablo, but by the end of the summer it was already a tad too tight around the tummy.
2013.08.17_Ranita3

Advertisements

Upcycled dress

Still posting old sewing projects… This is an everyday dress I made from an old shirt of my husband. I was inspired by this dress here, which I found very beatiful. So I bought the pattern of Lillesol and tried to modify it accordingly, moving up the box pleat and keeping the dress sleeveless. I like a lot the cut of the dress and its drape. Sara is not very fond of it, so if it still fits next summer I will have to add an applique to spice it up.
UpcycledDress2

Using the button-up front of the shirt at the back is a nice add-on. I do not like so much making buttonholes, so it is a nice advantage of upcycling a shirt.

UpcycledDress1

KCW: Dress and swimsuit

The Kids Clothes Week (KCW) is over. Last week was the summer edition of KCW, a week to carve out a little time each day to sew. I had a pattern (Burda Style 06/2011, number 133) and the fabric cut before the week started, and with a bit of time in the evenings at the end of the week I had a new summer dress for Sara 🙂

2013.07_BurdaDress01
Sara was very pleased to get to wear it on the weekend. It is so nice to get such enthusiasm back.
2013.07_BurdaDress03
The dress is made with a linen in fuchsia. It is very fresh and summery. I specially like the back, with the crossing stripes.
2013.07_BurdaDress05
As you can see, I also made the coordinating hair tie.

So let us do the pattern review:

Pattern Description: Summer dress with shoulder stripes crossing at the back.

Pattern Sizing: I made size 116 cm for a four years old. It fits well and at the same time it has a lot of room for growing. I bet we can also use it next summer.

Did it look like the original photo/drawing once sewed?: Yes, though the frill seems bigger than in the drawings.

Were the instructions easy to follow?: The instructions were not very clear. Specially the first step concerning the armholes. It took me a lot of time until I figured out that the bias stripe was supposed to be a kind of facing (and therefore you cannot see any seam in the inside).

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?: I still have my problems with yokes.

Did you learn anything new from this sewing project?: It has a pleated frill, so I learn to make the pleats. I used french seams except for joining the frill, as it would have been to bulky. There was also a lot of gathering to be made, which is something I did not do so often until now. I covered buttons for the first time for this project. They were quite small (11 mm in diameter) and it was impossible to cover them with the kit they come with. At the end I had to stitch the outer circumference of the fabric circle and pull the thread. In this way you get the fabric to lay down flat in the interior of the button and it can finally be closed using the tools in the kit.

Fabric Used: Linen.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: None.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?: Yes, but I think I would make the frill a bit smaller (in the circumference).

Here a detail of the frill:
2013.07_BurdaDress04

After finishing the dress I still managed in the weekend to finish a project I wanted to do for some time: a bikini for Sara:
2013.07_bikini
I used jersey knit and plain elastic band, things I had at home. No swimwear fabric, no swimwear linig nor any special elastic. I just wanted to try out a new technique: sewing with elastics. I followed the instructions found here. It is not easy and for sure requires much more practice. But I was happy with the result of this kind of muslin. It was a kind of experiment, but I´m sure it will get to be used at the lake this summer.