KCW: Dress and swimsuit

The Kids Clothes Week (KCW) is over. Last week was the summer edition of KCW, a week to carve out a little time each day to sew. I had a pattern (Burda Style 06/2011, number 133) and the fabric cut before the week started, and with a bit of time in the evenings at the end of the week I had a new summer dress for Sara 🙂

2013.07_BurdaDress01
Sara was very pleased to get to wear it on the weekend. It is so nice to get such enthusiasm back.
2013.07_BurdaDress03
The dress is made with a linen in fuchsia. It is very fresh and summery. I specially like the back, with the crossing stripes.
2013.07_BurdaDress05
As you can see, I also made the coordinating hair tie.

So let us do the pattern review:

Pattern Description: Summer dress with shoulder stripes crossing at the back.

Pattern Sizing: I made size 116 cm for a four years old. It fits well and at the same time it has a lot of room for growing. I bet we can also use it next summer.

Did it look like the original photo/drawing once sewed?: Yes, though the frill seems bigger than in the drawings.

Were the instructions easy to follow?: The instructions were not very clear. Specially the first step concerning the armholes. It took me a lot of time until I figured out that the bias stripe was supposed to be a kind of facing (and therefore you cannot see any seam in the inside).

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?: I still have my problems with yokes.

Did you learn anything new from this sewing project?: It has a pleated frill, so I learn to make the pleats. I used french seams except for joining the frill, as it would have been to bulky. There was also a lot of gathering to be made, which is something I did not do so often until now. I covered buttons for the first time for this project. They were quite small (11 mm in diameter) and it was impossible to cover them with the kit they come with. At the end I had to stitch the outer circumference of the fabric circle and pull the thread. In this way you get the fabric to lay down flat in the interior of the button and it can finally be closed using the tools in the kit.

Fabric Used: Linen.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: None.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?: Yes, but I think I would make the frill a bit smaller (in the circumference).

Here a detail of the frill:
2013.07_BurdaDress04

After finishing the dress I still managed in the weekend to finish a project I wanted to do for some time: a bikini for Sara:
2013.07_bikini
I used jersey knit and plain elastic band, things I had at home. No swimwear fabric, no swimwear linig nor any special elastic. I just wanted to try out a new technique: sewing with elastics. I followed the instructions found here. It is not easy and for sure requires much more practice. But I was happy with the result of this kind of muslin. It was a kind of experiment, but I´m sure it will get to be used at the lake this summer.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “KCW: Dress and swimsuit

  1. Qué bonitooo!!!! Me ha encantado artista! Y la peque se nota que le gusta mucho:) el bañador, una pasada.
    Muchos besos: Le

    • Gracias! Sí, a Sara le ha encantado, así que yo me quedé tan contenta. Lo del bagnador es muy experimental, pero ha quedado bastante bien como para usarlo. Veremos que tal en el agua, porque es tela normal. Pero si no funciona, le quito los lacitos y se queda como braguita.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s